St. Andrew’s Church

Pyhän Andrean luterilainen kirkko

(Please scroll down for the English version)

Screenshot (7)

Suomalaiset siirtolaiset perustivat Pyhän Andrean kirkon v. 1953. Floridaan oli alkanut 1940-50-luvuilla muuttaa enenevissä määrin amerikansuomalaisia viettämään täällä joko talvilomia tai eläkepäiviä. Joukossa oli paljon ensimmäisen polven siirtolaisia, joilla oli vielä vahvat siteet Suomeen ja suomenkieleen.

1960-luvulla St. Andrew’s kirkon viralliseksi kieleksi tuli englanti, sillä seurakunnan toiminnassa oli mukana paljon niitä, joilla  suomenkieli oli enää muisto menneiltä sukupolvilta. Tänäpäivänä kirkomme on selkästi kaksikielinen.

1980-luku oli seurakunnalle voimakkaan kasvun aikaa. Vuonna 1988 St.Andrew’s liittyi vastaperustettuun Amerikan evankelisluterilaiseen Evangelical Lutheran Church in America- järjestöön (E.L.C.A.,  https://www.elca.org/About/History).

Viimeiset kolme vuosikymmentä ovat olleet kirkolle hiljaisempaa aikaa ja niiden aikana on myös kirkon toimintaympäristö sekä missio muuttunut. Elämme tällä hetkellä murrosvaihetta. Uskomme, että Jumalalla on hyvä suunnitelma tälle seurakunnalle yhtenä osana Kristuksen ruumista. Me olemme valmiit osaltamme tekemään kaikkemme, jotta voisimme yhdessä kasvaa uskossa ja kaikella toiminnallamme korottaa Jeesusta Kristusta ja tuoda kunniaa Jumalalle.

Olet lämpimästi tervetullut mukaan seurakuntamme toimintaan!

Mia ja kirkko

St. Andrew’s Lutheran Church

St. Andrew’s Church was founded in 1953 by Finnish immigrants.  In the late forties and early fifties an increasing number of people came to Florida for lengthy winter vacations or for retirement to live here permanently. Many of those who settled in the Lake Worth-Lantana area had migrated from Finland and still had strong ties to their native land.

In 1960 the “official language” of the church was changed to English, since some of our members were second or third generation from Finnish immigrants and spoke only English. Nowadays St. Andrew’s is clearly bilingual.

Through the 80’s the church was busy and well-attended. In the year 1988 St. Andrew’s became a member of the new Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (E.L.C.A.).

The past three decades have quieted the church and changed its profile. Right now, we are in a process of finding new ways to reach both Finnish and English speaking Lutherans, those who hold permanent residency here and those who only come here for winter months.

We believe that God has a good plan for our church as an active and unique member in the body of Christ. We here at St. Andrew’s are all prepared to do our utmost, so that God can use us to bring glory to Him and help us all grow in our faith together.

You are most welcome to our congregation!

Advertisements